Monday, July 16, 2012

Healthy Bite-Size Treats

I love easy, no bake, bite size treats...and this recipe has endless possibilities!  I cannot tell you exactly where I got the original recipe - as I found a few from some of my favorite sites and modified them to be my own.  I love how absolutely versatile this recipe can be!  

This is a single batch recipe - My suggestion would be to double (or triple) this batch because I promise you they wont last long! 


  • 2/3 cup oats (you can use gluten free oats if cutting out gluten)
  • 2 Tbsp Almond Butter (or any nut butter - peanut, cashew, etc)
    • My favorites include:
      • Natural PB (no sugar)
      • Natural Almond Butter
      • MaraNatha Chocolate PB - this just has more sugar and other additives
      • If I want chocolate - I just add 1 or 2 Tbsp of cocoa or carob powder to the PB mix
  • 1 Tbsp Honey (soft but not melted!)
  • 1 Tbsp Coconut Flour 
    • I really don't suggest using anything else here - coconut flour is a magical and other substitutions haven't worked out as well for me.  You can get this at a health food store like Nutters 
  • 1 Tbsp Coconut Milk 
    • The canned milk - dont be afraid to use full fat varieties! Found in most grocery stores.
  • 1/2 cup dried blueberries (here is where you can get creative! see suggestions below
    • I buy dried cherries, blueberries, and cranberries by bulk or from Costco.  
    • I prefer ones that are unsweetened but don't always have them on hand
    • Make sure you keep them in the freezer - chop them up using a blender - and trust me! they chop up better when they are cold/frozen
  • Other Fillers
    • 1/4-1/2 cup chopped seeds or nuts (see below) 
      • I had some salted pumpkin seeds on hand - so I put them in the blender too! 
      • Could use whatever here - but Id say you would want to chop them up in a blender
    • 1/4 Cup Mini Choc Chips
      • I really like Enjoy Life Mini Chips - found in health food stores 
Put everything you want in a bowl together, wash your hands, and start mixing - BY HAND!


Roll into bite size balls - get your kids to help!  My girls loved helping and actually enjoyed eating them after because they "made" them! (notice the chipmunk cheeks!?!) 


Freeze!  (Trust me! You don't want these sitting on your counter! Keep in the fridge or freezer!











My favorite Combos:
  • PB with Cocoa, Cherries and Mini Choc Chips
  • Almond Butter, Blueberries, Pumpkin Seeds
-----
Another GREAT version but without oats is this and again - play around with the variety of options you can create!:
  • 3/4 cup almond flour
  • 3 tbsp shredded coconut
  • 2 tbsp almond butter
  • 1 tbsp coconut flour
  • 1 tbsp vanilla
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1 tbsp coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup + mini choc chips



3 comments:

  1. What do you do with the rest of the coconut milk once the can is open? How long does it last refrigerated?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Use up the milk for other things like over berries, in coffee, in shakes, etc. I have found about 4 days...or until it smells bad! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.canyoufreezethis.com/can-you-freeze-coconut-milk/

    There are lots of sites that suggest freezing it and using ice cube trays. Just be aware it may change in consistency after.

    Experiment away!

    ReplyDelete