Sunday, April 01, 2012

Damn you Girl Guide cookies!

Girl Guide Cookies.


$5 per box of sweet vanilla and chocolate cookies. 


One doorbell chime and emptying out a handful of change leaves 2 weeks of conscientious eating hanging by a noose. 


3 days home with sick kids and a drastic change in weekend plans shreds all last hopes of sticking with my plan.  


A fridge full of prepped food and drawer full of fruity sugar free gum couldn't compete with that one box of Girl Guide cookies. 


And they are gone. 


Enjoyed absolutely every single one I was able to grab for myself (competing with 3 others) and selfishly denied my children more than 1 at a time while pocketing 3 for myself.  Finger wagging shame.


And I don't even regret it.  Kinda feel ashamed that I let a box of cookies ruin a winning streak...but now that they are gone I can focus again. Phew! I subconsciously helped myself out by getting them out of the cupboard didn't I?


If there is one thing I have learnt is that we need to have simple indulgences.  A licorice here.  An oreo there.  A Cadbury Thin now.  A bag of chips tomorrow.  Because if you don't....you will eat a whole box of delicious Girl Guide cookies without batting an eye. 


Changing your diet to be more health conscious is an entire lifestyle change.  I find it quite exciting to find and try recipes that help me combat cravings with similar tastes and textures but in a cleaner, healthier way.  I am proud of the fact that I bake more and buy less treats.  But to deny yourself the inevitable delightful craving now and then will only lead to disaster.  


Understand your cravings.  Learn what triggers them.  Even accept them.  Know how to get over them.  And most importantly don't buy more than one box of Girl Guide cookies!!!! (donate the cash and save yourself from inevitable diet destruction!)





No comments:

Post a Comment