Thursday, March 22, 2012

Even when on the road...

In an attempt to be more dedicated to my efforts - I took an hour to prepare and pack food for 2 (and a bit) days on the road.  Being away from home often times leads to impulse eating from convenience stores and Timmy's.  


Breakfast 
3 eggs, 2 egg whites with 1/3 cup diced Country Naturals Ham, mushrooms, broccoli, and a little squirt of spicy ketchup.  Usually I will also have a protein shake with coconut milk, a few blueberries and ground flax.
Coffee with cream (low fat)  

Morning Snacks
Greek yogurt with some homemade "cliff bar" granola (approx 1/4cup) or pumpkin protein bar with almonds.

Lunch
Salad with chicken breast or tuna, balsamic dressing.

Afternoon Snacks
P28 bread with almond butter and reduced sugar jam or honey.  Apple pre-workout. Sometimes a handful of trailmix (or a few)

Post Workout
Whey Protein Isolate with 5ml Glutamine

Supper
2x Talapia cooked with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, lemon juice, broccoli and sweet potatoes.
Usually I would also have 1/3 cup brown rice (but was too lazy to get this made before I left!)

Bed Time (sometimes) 
Steel cut oats with berries (sometimes I have this for breakfast instead of eggs)

Supplements
Omega 3 fish oil pills (Costco)
Multivitamin
Glutamine - post workout
Protein powder - post workout and sometimes with breakfast, occasional baking

I don't stray too far from this.  I am quite content with my favorites.  I sometimes experiment with baking or new meat recipes, but otherwise am quite plain.  

I also would love to find the diligence and dedication to keep up with this every day...some days are complete write offs...but otherwise I find that if I PACK a lunch or my containers for the day - I stick to the plan.  If I dont...I graze and graze from cupboards to fridge.  

As I progress through my plan I am finding that eating better is becoming more natural.  It compliments and fuels what I am doing at the gym and during the day...I still am quite uneducated on what macronutrients I am getting (or missing out on) - but this will come.  I can definitely say that I am craving sweets less and less each day and that I rarely feel hungry or bloated lately.  Food is by far one of the most challenging things to figure out and experiment with and dedicate yourself to but it is so very worth it when you see how your progress is enhanced by good food choices!

It is the second night of my trip and I can proudly say I have not purchased any food besides my morning coffee!  The students in my class want to take me out to lunch tomorrow (probably rude to take my lunch...but I will order a salad anyway).  Im not so dedicated that I cannot manage a meal out - but I am so glad I brought my own food.  Being in a hotel with fridges in the room and continental breakfast areas (for any things you forgot like utensils!) is a huge help!  

And to top it all off - for the first time in my life - I went by myself to a gym that I have never been to...went in and did my entire workout like a pro!  This is a very huge accomplishment for me and I was quite proud of my confidence and execution of my workout for the day.  I won't lie - the fact that I rather jacked guy asked me what I was "training for" was quite a compliment - my answer....

....Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer Mainprize (ForsethMarch 23, 2012 9:11 am

    I just have to tell you Rebecca that you're inspiring.... I've been having lots of trouble getting back into shape after my last baby (who'll be 2 in May) and it motivates me to put my butt in gear more and more and eat healthy when I see your blog. I've been putting myself first finally this year and it's always easier knowing somebody else I know is doing so well with the same thing. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jennifer! I find the more I learn, the more I research, the more I connect with others, the easier it all becomes. It really wasn't until my youngest was about 2 when I started to get a little more serious about improving things for myself. When you start to accomplish even little things - it becomes so motivating to keep at it. There are always set backs - but its more important about getting over them than the downfall of actually having them! Good luck with all that you are trying and feel free to share on my page if you like!

    ReplyDelete