Saturday, April 21, 2012

SPARTAN

When I am out of town (alone), I like to go check out the local gym.  I also usually save my hardest workout for that day so I have lots to do and don't look like a pansy in there either.  I also go because I am bored while staying in a hotel by myself and use this free time to do something other than sit in my room.  I find that the past months in my own home gym has given me the confidence to go into any gym, alone, and kill my workout with complete confidence.  This is a huge thing because before all of this I can assure you I would have never went to any such facility alone.

Recently when I was at a local gym in Swift Current (by the way it was a BEAUTIFUL gym!) I was one of 5 people in there.  Mid-workout a guy asked me what I was "training for"...I was caught completely off guard!  I didn't really have an answer....so I spit out "for the Spartan race".  

WHAT!  I actually said that?!?! Ok - I might have been talking about it for months, trying to get people to join up with me, but I wasn't actually registered!  But what else was I supposed to say to a complete stranger?  
  • The truth:   "Oh because I am turning 30 and am having a mini meltdown about it so I thought I would workout really hard so it doesn't feel or look like I am 30..."
  •  The other truth:  "I am training for a tight ass cuz mine has and always has been flat"
  • The open-ended answer I keep reading in magazines:   "I'm training for the sake of my health"  
I think my answer was much better than these alternatives.  Thing was - I wasn't even registered for the race!  So we spent the next few sets talking about it and him praising me for my efforts (who was I to tell him to stop?)  Leaving the gym that night I swore I would finally put my money where my mouth is and register...

3 weeks later I finally did! Check it out! 

And a few other friends have jumped on board too!  We have a little Facebook group going with some Work Out of the Days (WODs) posted and are getting to know each other before we are faced with a guy holding a spear standing between us and a barbwire enclosed mud pit that we have to crawl through!  Scary shit I tell you!  

Anyway - it's official!  I'm training for Spartan!  
It's good to finally have purpose other than my vanity.


No comments:

Post a Comment