Sunday, June 10, 2012

Surviving the Backyard BBQ

The season of backyard BBQs, patio drinks, and late night bonfires.  Most festivities include an assortment of beverages, most including alcohol.  And lets not forget chips, cookies, creamy dips for veggies, macaroni salads, and buns just to name a few.  You know what your favorites are!


The BBQ season is not an easy season to get through if you are trying to change the way you eat.  I am already salivating just writing all that above and reminiscing on the spread of food that has been set out before me to enjoy before.  Regardless of my own personal diet changes and all the things that are on my "DO NOT EAT" list (all mentioned above) I cannot expect everyone to eat like me and to not put such things out. 


It is all actually relatively easy - it just takes some planning.  


1)  Bring a dish.  For me this is a salad.  Unique and flavorful,something new to try, an experiment.  I know what is in that dish and I know it is something I can eat - in abundance.  You need something to fill up on so you don't reach for the things you are actually craving.   If you are like me - I usually end up bringing more than just one dish - mostly because there are so many I want to try and finally have a crowd to experiment on!


2)  Perrier and Frozen Fruit.  Cut up some lemons and limes and freeze them on a tray.  Put some berries in ice cube trays and top up with water - freeze.  Once you have your ice cubes - add them to water, or if you want some bubbly - Perrier or Pres. Choice has a great brand that is unsweetened.  (Avoid flavored water that is sweetened with sucrose).  In a room of drinkers - this looks like a drink!  Bubbly, classy (put it in a clear glass instead of Red Solo), and tasty.  


3)  Bring a snack you can munch on (I feel this is actually the most important thing I need to remember!).  After supper there is always an assortment of chips.  Dammit it anyway.  One of my biggest weakness!  And "healthy" chips do not really exist.  SO what is a girl to do?  Bring a bag (or even enough to share) of nuts, dried fruit, or even beef jerky.  That late night need to crunch is overwhelming!  So when I had to ask my friend for a handful of almonds last night - it dawned on me that I need to come a little more prepared (more than I thought I already was!).  Nuts at least helps with the crunch!  Or bring Kale - toast it up in the oven and have Kale chips.  Jerky is always a good choice - but don't let them see it if you didnt bring enough to share!


4)  Say NO to the bun!  Period.  Stack your meat as you would but without the bun.  Use mustard and hot peppers and dijon.  But NO BUN.  For me this is partly because of my plan but there are also other reasons why I have stopped with the buns.  Unneeded calories, wrong kind of calories that I want, dense, way too much in comparison to the meat, want to save room for other things, I usually end up picking off the excess and throwing out anyway, etc etc etc.  Forget the bun.  Enjoy the meat!


5)  Change your attitude.  I find that the more I change my attitude before going (and daily) the less struggle I have.  I always fear family/friend events when I'm working towards changing things.  Every event is predictably the same - with the same spread of food and drink.  

  • Attitude change #1:  What am I here for?  The food/drink or the people? 

  • Attitude change #2:   No one cares what I eat or drink - they may question it or make comments but in the end they just don't care.  Why let myself fall apart for the sake of the food on the counter? 

  • Attitude change #3:  Drinking is not mandatory - it's optional.  Just because I always said yes to a drink before doesn't mean I have to now.  Just accept that people will keep asking if you are pregnant or to explain why you are not drinking.  I hate having to explain myself so a simple "not now thanks" or "maybe later" or "I'm driving" or whatever...Drinking is optional.  And to be quite honest - I've come to realize I just don't need that drink.  What I may be getting at is that I want to drink because I WANT to, whether on impulse or for a special event, but to just have a few may not be worth it.

  • Attitude change #4:  It is not worth it.  You will never feel good about that piece of cake or bowl of chips so just don't eat it.  The taste-bud, sugar high is not worth the disappointment you will have in yourself.  So eat what you know makes you feel good and what is worth it to you.  Those treats will always be there next time if you really want to have them. 


Lastly - it comes down to the fact that I am trying to make a lifestyle change.  And my lifestyle includes these types of events so it has to be known that changing the choices I make at these events is necessary too.  Period.  I can't feel good about my choices, talk about them, encourage others to start to live healthier themselves, and then fall apart at a backyard BBQ.  Not only would I prove I'm full of shit but I feel whatever respect/curiosity  people had for the changes I talk about is diminished.  So it is really important to me that I learn to change my choices - outside and within all these types of events - to keep working towards my long term goals of a healthier lifestyle and to prove my commitment to myself.

And would you believe it?  I had a great visit last night with my friends!  

No comments:

Post a Comment