Monday, June 04, 2012

Starting Week 2

1 week in and doing well.  Except....

I had ketchup twice on my eggs and 2 vodka/soda drinks on Friday night.  Shocker I know!  BUT I will have you know that I did not have one - not one - chip or chocolate covered raisin at the girls night I was at - and all the bowls were within inches of my hand!  It felt awesome!  And to top it off, I was doing so well until the gracious host of the house I was staying at plunked a piece of garlic bread on my plate.  So I ate it.  Begrudgingly. But how else could I pass up yet another item of the meal she prepared for me and her family (note I said no to the rice and weird veggie dip)?

So how do I handle this - especially at other people's places? (not my family as I don't fear offending them if I pass on food)  My trainer suggested that I use the 'excuse' that I am eliminating some things to see if there is a food intolerance.  Which is essentially what I am trying to do but I just never thought of putting it this way to a host.  It would be no different than passing up a glass of milk because it makes you sick.  Gluten is a big source of irritation for some people and I am starting to see that certain things like bread to have a tendency to make me bloated too.  I didn't feel too bloated after this piece but then again I walked away from the table hungry.  They also had a roast chicken - to which I would normally eat half of it myself in one sitting - but only had 3 thin slices.  Regardless it was a learning experience...eat my own food I pack and be honest even at the expense of shocking or offending the host.

As well, it has been a huge lifesaver for me to stop in at a grocery store while I am on the road instead of a convenience store.  I tend to stick to my same habits at home in them, but the convenience stores have too many temptations that test my willpower.

So here is what I had to today to eat...My goal this week is to cut out sauces and dressings.  I have found more and more lately that the flavors of the foods themselves are very tasty - without all the added dressings!

Breakfast - Egg Scramble with ham, veggies, and hot peppers
AM Snack - 2 pieces light Havarti cheese, handful of almonds, and a cup of blueberries
Lunch - Spinach Salad with veggies, 1/2 avocado, 1 hard boiled egg, and half a can of salmon
PM Snack - 1 pork chop (leftover) and raw veggies
Post Workout - Protein Shake and small apple
Supper - Homemade chili (without beans) and steamed broccoli

It was an easy week last week.  I really don't anticipate this week to be any different.  The weekend will be a whole other ball game.  It is easy when you are working to stick to a normal routine, but to do so on a free weekend may be a whole different experience.  The way I feel now is that I feel cleaner and less like Im on a rollercoaster with cravings and indulgences.  I know it has only been a week - but it is definitely worth fighting on for!

R

No comments:

Post a Comment