Monday, May 28, 2012

Day 1 of 30

Today is Day 1.  

Day 1 of 30 - Cutting out sugar (with exception of some specific fruit), grains, and most dairy.  Now if you are shaking your head at how extreme this sounds - it really isn't...plus I have a few treat days/meals planned throughout that I may or may not take advantage of.  The intent is to eat more raw, whole foods while realistically taking out unnecessary sugar sources and food irritants.  


Why?  Honestly - something to try.  There are a few specific reasons though:
-  To challenge myself.
-  To test my commitment to myself and the goals I set.
-  To see if I can "just say no" to temptations and foods that may taste so delicious but in the end make me feel like crap and bloated.
-  To see how it changes the way I feel and what I miss and don't miss in the end.
-  To see where it will take me next
-  To see how it improves or even maybe hinders my goals for the gym and my pursuit of a 6-pack (almost there I think!) 


Might consider this a cleanse of sorts - but as soon as you throw that word out there people take it to a whole new weirdness.  Might call it a diet...but then again I have issues with that word and what it actually means.  So it is what it is...30 Day Healthy Eating Challenge.  


So consider this:  For 30 days I will eat an insane amount of veggies.  For 30 days I will eat generous helpings of protein.  For 30 days I will eat healthy fats like avocados, coconut milk and nuts .   I won't step on the scale.  I will eat when I feel hungry but with the goal of 6 times per day.  I will still have my protein shake post workout.  WOW - Sounds extreme eh!  


Life without grains will be fine (although I do miss the idea of my PB&J snacks in the afternoon).  And I just discovered spaghetti squash as a substitute for spaghetti so I'm all set now!  I will keep my greek yogurt but plain with my allowance of fruit.  I will watch to make sure I'm consuming enough protein and carbs for my workouts.  And I hope to journal about it all but without becoming crazy obsessive with logging every bite.  


I guess you should know that I am well aware this won't come without temptation.  And you can bet I'm already trying to figure out ways to stay on track when around family or away from home.  And it hit me like a brick that I need more sources of protein and yummy recipes to get through this!  But without all of this...it wouldn't be a challenge then would it? 


So Day 1 is over.  And I felt a little low for the day and hungry....so as I finish this up, I'm enjoying two turkey muffins with hot sauce (goodbye ketchup!) and thought I would share my meals for today:

  • Breakfast - leftovers of spaghetti squash, ground turkey, hot peppers, and grilled veggies
  • Coffee - with 35% fat cream (next gonna try coconut milk!)
  • Morning Snack - missed this one :( - I struggle with this meal when I teach...Something I will have to work on!
  • Lunch - Spinach salad with a colorful assortment of veggies and two turkey muffins with hot sauce
  • Afternoon - Greek Yogurt (plain) with blueberries (large handful)
  • Post-Workout - shake and apple
  • Supper - leftover squash, turkey, hot peppers and veggies (this was the last of a huge batch I made)
  • Drive home from work - handful of almonds
  • Bed Time - I was starving...so two turkey muffins and hot sauce it was!
And I feel good.  Not bloated.  Full and happy.  And honestly - today...never even craved sugar.  (Note: I have actually been easing my way into this plan...so it has not been the culture shock the way it may be for some others)

So call it what you will.  Criticize as you must.  But in the end....I'm not doing this for anyone other than me.  The treats will all be there again at the next family gathering or in the grocery isle.  There will be no shortage of opportunities to binge eat in the future.  These 30 days are mine.  Why not try yourself?!?  What do you have to lose?

Next challenge - addressing the shopping list and food prep!  I spend WAY too much time in the kitchen!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment