Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Out with the old...In with the new


Like many teens, the moment I turned 18 I got a tattoo.  Picked it right off the wall of various tribal designs and plunked it on my right shoulder blade.  Seemed like a good idea at the time.  What was an even better was we finished the trip off with a visit to the strippers and a night in a hotel - all because we apparently were adult enough now to do so.  


I never got sentimental about my tattoo.  It wasn't symbolic of anything...but over the years it became a symbol of those times of the past.  A memory of young love, of friendships we thought would never change, of the freedom to start making my own decisions, of parties and a young adulthood long lost to the realities we all must face.  So it became sentimental in its own way...but something I needed to let go of.  

As much as one can cover it up - it is still hidden under the new colors and design - always there no matter how hard you have to look to see what remains of it.  As will the memories and emotions it can evoke when I spend some time reflecting on it and the time in my life it represented remain with me for life.  There are many reasons why I finally went through with changing it...I am another decade older, I have come to the realization that life moves on, and I want something fresh and new.  As well, I wanted to show more pride in my body and reward myself for the hard work I have done in the gym (isn't that back toning up nicely?)

But I am not one for symbols....so it is what it is. A fresh, new, colorful, unique design that only I possess - no one else has this exact one.  And it is not done.  This is just a start.  I already have some things I want to add to it to take it to the exact coverage I want and lets not forget about the very similar but individual one I have on my ankle that is just screaming to have more sprays and more colors to mirror what is on my shoulder.  And I couldn't be happier or more excited to see where it will evolve over the years.  


Some people are against tattooing.  I am not. (I'm sure my parents will be so proud of me again when they see this...It must have taken my dad all these years to get over the first!)  I will encourage my children to make their own decisions and put thought and value into their choices should they ever want a tattoo...but then again maybe they will never get one either.  Some want to hide theirs and to be discrete.  I do not.  I want mine to show as I see fit and I am proud to have it so why not show it off.  At the same time it can be covered and hidden as I see fit as well.  

And when the time comes that I am in a nursing home (I know my mother must just be rolling her eyes) I will laugh at the snickers from youthful nurses who will be caring for me (most with their own tattoos already I bet)...and be proud to tell them the stories my tattoos represent.  


This is totally the look I was going for!

No comments:

Post a Comment