Monday, February 13, 2012

Measurements

I just wanted to add here my current (well Jan 29/12) measurements.  I am curious to see how these will change as I progress through my program.  


Height: 5'3" 
Weight: 111.2 lbs 

Chest: 82.6 cm 
Upper arm: 23.5 cm
Thigh girth: 43cm
Calf girth: 29.5cm

Body Fat: 14.8%

The one thing that stands out for me - is that when I was given these measurements I was honestly in disbelief about my weight.  On my home scale it has never dropped below 112lbs.  And then to see my pictures from that day and be told I was at 111lbs at that moment - I thought for sure something was wrong with the scale (as if 1lb is so drastically different!).  Not because I thought it was too high but because I swear it's too low!  I have not worked out significantly since December 2 and given the holidays and how I had been eating up to that moment - I just figured I would be around the 115lbs.  

My brain does not associate the weight and body I see in those pictures to the number on the scale.  I know!  I know!  It is just a number but still it reflects a general description of your body.  One cannot expect that my weight will be much higher than that after weeks of strength training but the shape of it most definitely will change.  The one thing that will never change about me is my height and body frame.  

The one thing I can say is that this over exaggerated self-consciousness about our weight is classic for many women.  We put too much emphasis on the scale.  As a rule - I rarely step on the scale so as to stop myself from becoming obsessed with it.  I base my judgement on how my clothes fit and how I feel that day as opposed to a number.  I can see changes throughout the day with water retention or stress or foods I was eating.  I can see changes in a week just from diet alone or during 'that time of the month'.  But I have never actually put a picture beside a number.  

I personally don't feel too thin. I'm not concerned about my weight in the least but I am beginning to see the truth in the age old saying that "Muscle weighs more than fat"...and I am so determined to add muscle and reshape what I have.  I'm hoping that soon I will see some changes in those numbers for the better...but more so than the numbers themselves I hope to see the obvious changes to the physique.  

So for any one wanting to lose weight or who would think they would not complain if they had a body like mine is right now (Im not being presumptuous)  - think hard about how realistic your goals are.  We need to set attainable goals that are realistic and safe for our body and health.  It is easy for me to be as I am today because of what effort I do put forth (or lack thereof) and the fact that my frame is petite as it is.  I would hate for anyone to jump to conclusions that I have a distorted body image or unhealthy habits to remain slim.  If anything I am too self-conscious of what people think about my body and paranoid they would associate my size with an eating disorder of any sort.  (Read Portia de Rossi's "Unbearable Lightness" for an honest description of eating disorders)  Confidently I can say this is not the case, and my husband can affirm that as well, but nonetheless I hate to be misunderstood.  

So here is to seeing where these numbers will go and how they will correspond to the body image.  I never thought I would say with sincere honesty - "I'm excited to gain some weight!"

~R



No comments:

Post a Comment