Sunday, February 12, 2012

Day 1 - February 12, 2012

The pursuit of change always has a starting point.  My pursuit is no different and this blog is my own way of keeping myself accountable.  It would seem fitting then to share a visual representation of my starting point.  But before I do, it is important for me to be share a few things:

October 2009 - looking back on pictures (to which there are very few) from this particular time in life it occurred to me that I had reached a very disappointing low.  I spent the entire summer eating fried food, drinking as if I was 19 again, and had not one care in the world about my health.  And it showed. 

(<---Summer 2009) 

(<---October 2009 - Thanksgiving.  Well the "pose" doesn't help here either! Eeek!)










April 2010 - I joined an outdoor bootcamp in Warman - hoping to get active again.  This was life-changing!  I met great women and found I really excelled (might have something to do with how competitive I am).  I really hadn't been active since highschool by this point, I had two very young children, and I was completely unaware of how unhealthy I was...Joining this bootcamp and becoming friends with Kelli (instructor) was what awakened me to doing better for myself and my health.

August 2011 - After a year of bootcamps and persuasion (Kelli and Bree) I got a gym membership.  Bootcamps were great - but it was time to try something new and I needed to build some muscle.  Some people said I was too thin and seeing some pictures now I can even say I somewhat agree now!  Kelli helped me with a strength training plan and I went off alone to the gym.  I missed bootcamp and my friends but I had committed myself to trying this.  I ate better, felt GREAT, and saw subtle changes (no pictures sorry).  Then December came - and all good intentions were put to waste with excuses and lack of motivation.

(^--- Summer 2011 In good "cardio" shape but very thin muscles)

January 2012 - Recognizing that whatever gains I had achieved at the gym were slowly fading away - I tried to re-evaluate my goals, intentions, and motivations.  A new plan began to take shape and I met my new Trainer.  I recognize that plans will always be implemented, changed, evolve, fall apart, and start anew.  So one thing I have never done is document anything...this is where I am at today.


These pictures with the pink top were taken Jan 29, 2012


I am not overly self-conscious of my body.  On average I weigh 112-115lbs (my heaviest post kids is 128lbs).  I am also not obsessed with that number (although like any woman I get a little anxious when it climbs).  Many have said things like "you are skinny enough" or "you don't need to lose weight" but what they don't understand is that it's not about that at all!.  

I just want to be more defined, more muscular, faster, stronger, and healthier.  Healthier is the key here.  And I'm only willing to get the other if I do it in a safe, health conscious, and wholesome way.

I want to CHANGE my weight.  I may even gain.  But what I want to achieve will require a diet that fuels my activity, builds lean muscle mass, reduces inflammation and changes how my body stores fat. 
 Tanning would sure help too! 


Trainer: "Let your arms hang straight"  Me:  "I am!"  Trainer: "OMG" and insert awkward chuckle here.  My posture is terrible!  I have known forever that I seriously lack flexibility - but to see it is eyeopening! Let's just say that there is strong stretching component to my new program!  


Stretching is the key to being able to perform and excel safely in my program.  If I can at the very least touch my toes or reach my arms straight above my head I will have improved immensely from where I start today!


When I look at these pictures all I can think about is how excited I am to redefine my musculature!  I want to see a stronger back and defined arms.  And more than anything I want to fix, add to, or change my tattoo!  To me that tattoo symbolizes a time in my life when I didn't care at all about my health...I want nothing more than to change it to make it represent me now and reflect the changes I want for myself.u



Cheesy transformation cliches aside - I honestly just want to see what I can push my body to do!  I want to see if I can adhere to a plan and see the results I am hoping for.  I want to redefine my body composition with hard work, healthy eating, and a new approach to wellness.  I've proven I can lose weight.  I've proven I can run 10km easily and quickly.  I've proven I can get to the gym 3-4 times a week. 

 Now I just want to see what else I can achieve and what it will lead to next.  

Taken Feb 12, 2012
I even notice a difference here from the pink ones
that is just from diet changes in the last 2 weeks.

I hope to keep a diary on here of my changes.  February 12, 2012 is Day 1.  I will check back in with progress and benchmarks as they are achieved.  I will also share things about my plan and diet as it is applicable.  


1 comment:

  1. Rebecca you WILL achieve everything you set forth to do!!!!!

    ReplyDelete